GlassHopper Patterns is proud to bring you Dicro Slide Dichroic Coated Paper! This new application for dichroic coating was developed through the creative thinking and technical expertise of Howard Speelman, (GlassHopper Patterns) and Dan Crow, (Spirit of Glass). Dicro Slide combines a quality dichroic coating with special paper, which results in a layer of dichroic strong enough to be transferred to glass or ceramics.
Dicro Slide has no COE so it works well with most glass. It can be cut with scissors, paper punches or craft knives, is simple to use and fires easily to 1500°.
The versatility of Dicro Slide makes design possibilities unlimited. It offers something new and exciting to art glass. Dicro Slide comes in 5 solid colors and Rainbow. We offer several sheet sizes and assortment packages.
USING DICRO SLIDE
Cut & cleaned pieces of same COE, glass in black, clear &/or assorted colors of various sizes.
A shallow water container (try a plastic plate).
Clean water and paper towels. Distilled water is recommended! (Tap water can contain trace metals which may change Dicro Slide results.)
Scissors and paper punches in a variety of shapes.
Wooden skewers for positioning Dicro Slide on glass. Small, fine texture sponge to smooth out air bubbles. A small makeup sponge is also helpful.
Long handled tweezers, if desired. Use these carefully, they may mark the dichroic!
1. Cut or punch Dicro Slide into various shapes & sizes.
2. Soak the Dicro Slide pieces in 1/4 to 1/2 distilled water for 1 to 2 minutes. Larger pieces need more time than small ones.
3. Remove Dicro Slide from water, gently blot excess water on paper towel.
4. Carefully slide and position Dicro Slide on glass, (it is stronger than it looks). If Dicro Slide does not release easily, return to water and soak a little longer. Use dampened end of skewer to move or uncurl Dicro Slide shapes.
5. Try layering glass & Dicro Slide. (When layering Dicro Slide on itself, be sure to cover with clear glass!) Experiment, use your imagination, and have fun!
6. Fuse using your preferred firing schedule. Note: if fusing large pieces of Dicro Slide hold at 950° up to 60 minutes, depending on size of Dicro Slide pieces, for venting before increasing to fuse temperature.
1. Dicro Slide is compatible with most COE glass, and has been used successfully on ceramics and porcelain.
3. Dicro Slide works well uncapped, but like all genuine Dichroic, does not fuse to itself or against other metals. It can be fused against Dichroic glass, Iridized glass or other glass with a metallic layer if capped.
4. Store Dicro Slide so coated side of dichroic paper is away from other coated dichroic paper surfaces.